Thursday 8 January 2015

Caravaggio

Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (Milan, 28 September 1571 - Porto Ercole, 18 July 1610) was an Italian artist active in Rome, Naples, Malta and Sicily between 1593 and 1610. He is commonly placed in the Baroque school, of which he is considered the first great representative.
I used http://www.caravaggio-foundation.org/ when researching Caravaggio and came across some of his paintings that I found very interesting:

Narcissus, c.1597-99 - Caravaggio - www.caravaggio-foundation.org

Magdalene (detail) 1596-97 - Caravaggio - www.caravaggio-foundation.org

David with the Head of Goliath - Caravaggio - www.caravaggio-foundation.org

After researching Caravaggio and his paintings, I quickly realised that he enjoyed using lighting in his paintings and reflections. Following this I took six photographs that fit with the theme light and dark, and use lighting and reflections similarly to Caravaggio.  







I found Caravaggio's work very interesting, especially his use of lighting to portray darker emotions. In doing so, his images felt as though they each told a different story without the use of moving images. Each story was intriguing as the lighting changed the tone of the photograph significantly and in turn changed the story. Although, I didn't use lighting to add emotion to my images I attempted to use lighting to enhance the object and reflections to add a symmetrical feel.

Bibliography: http://www.caravaggio-foundation.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment